For those who own their own businesses, it becomes clear after a short while that it’s nearly impossible to exist without a capable graphic designer. The world is full of clever advertising and targeted designs, some so subtle that it’s difficult to notice them. Truly, from the moment we wake up to the moment we rest, we see graphics. The world of graphic design has not only entered our businesses, but our personal lives as well.
Companies make use of graphic designers for a variety of reasons. The most common reason is for promotion. These promotional campaigns take the form of letterheads, business cards, websites, logos, flyers, banners, newsletter designs, posters, etc.
So, what exactly is graphic design?
Technically, graphic design communicates ideas and information to audiences via various graphical mediums. The term “graphic design” refers to multiple professional and artistic schemes that present information visually to a targeted audience. There are a multitude of methods used to combine text, symbols and images into a visual presentation. Marketing materials command the most need for graphic designers, as they need advertising in magazines, web design, etc.
The correct nomenclatures for those who work in the field of graphic design are “graphic designers” or “graphic artists.” These are highly sought-after individuals with a unique voice that create the amazing graphic designs people see in their daily lives. The reason these individuals are so sought-after is because they present the most effective ways to drive information toward consumers.
People who are looking for a career in graphic design typically go to a graphic design school or a specialty graphic design college. By performing a highly selective college search, one can weed out low-quality schools and go to the graphic design school that is right for them. This is an important step for budding artists as a good college search will yield the best graphic design college.
One final thing about performing a college search is that when looking for a graphic design school or graphic design college, a searcher must have a tangible goal in mind. Some schools are specifically geared toward advertising and marketing; others are more abstract and geared toward graphic design solely as an art form. The prospective student must have some idea in mind for what they are looking for before they begin the search.
What makes a good graphic designer?
- A good graphic designer is adept at communicating a business’ message through creative design.
- A good graphic designer builds confidence and trust within companies.
- A good graphic designer participates in brand development.
- A good graphic designer is also, at heart, a good advertiser. The graphic designer should enhance advertising images.
- A good graphic designer builds unique artistic concepts.
- A good graphic designer is straightforward and legible.
- A good graphic designer has the ability to create extremely appealing and attractive designs.
- A good graphic designer is, in a word, unique.
- A good graphic designer makes use of physical, cultural, cognitive and social factors when executing designs.
- A good graphic designer is punctual and participates in meetings with clients.
- A good graphic designer speaks with creative and art directors while bringing their own market research into play.
Studies have shown that written communication is much less effective than visual communication. Emotion and importance are often much more easily conveyed through images. This is why graphic designers are important; they pour emotion into their work and make it evocative. If a graphic designer’s work can evoke emotion from a consumer, then they have done their job well.